Thursday, February 23, 2017

February Thaw

The first half of February brought a strange softening of the weather, a slow but steady warming-up and drying-out. This peaked over the last six days, with temps hitting the 50s and 60s.

I have mixed feelings about this. It's great to have a break from the cold, but weather like this, at this time of year, just feels wrong. It creates a sensation of limbo, a kind of displaced out-of-season-ness that confuses the senses and woos us into thinking that winter might actually be over. Trees are budding out, geese and sandhill cranes have returned, and there have been rumours of robin sightings. This is not a normal Wisconsin February, folks.

The environmentalist in me is uneasy, but the cyclist in me is thrilled....

Saturday Morning

Back on the bike for the first time since November. The air is mild and the ground mostly dry, but the sky retains the deep blue of winter:


I'm riding one of my favourite circuits, and checking up on all my favourite views. Here the willow trees have been putting out golden-green fronds:


It's strange to see so much open water about. The wild geese are loving it:


It's good to see my porcine friends again. They seem to have thrived over the winter:


What a sky!



What a treat to take a comfortable ride at this time of year. If the weather holds, I'll do it again tomorrow.

Sunday Afternoon

Though most of the snow has melted off, there is still some to be found on north-facing banks:


Can't seem to stop taking pictures of the water:



Not all the ice has melted yet:



While taking the above photos, I can hear sandhill cranes calling. What do they know that we don't? Can we really be going to have an early spring?

It's good to see my shadow on the bike again:


Wednesday Evening

The weather has held for several days now, allowing me to squeeze in another ride before temps begin to fall.

Tallulah is still wearing her winter hat (shame on me for not putting her helmet back on):


First blackbird sighting of the year:


Turkeys crossing the road:


What a treat to know that the sun won't go down until after 5:30. I can stay out a little longer and watch it getting ready to set....


A satisfying ride.

~

Today (Thursday) the temps began to drop. The forecast is for freezing rain and several inches of snow. February's back!

How's your weather?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

11 comments:

  1. It's great to see you back on your bike. You ask our weather is? Well, it snowed yesterday and the day before. We're told it's going to snow again this weekend on Saturday and Sunday. I think Washington is getting all the snow that the rest of the country hasn't gotten this year. We still have about 4 feet of snow in our front yard. I am so ready for spring to come.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're out riding again, I've missed you and Tallulah. As for us, we've had to winter and I haven't missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo's Sue I'm glad you were able to get out on your bike. Our weather is crazy one day freezing the next warm, my roses in the front garden have bloomed throughout the winter and today my potted crocuses were all in bloom when I stepped out this morning, I keep waiting for winter to hit, very strange. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your photos. The last one, oh my, is my favorite. The silhouette of trees against the orangey/pink/purple sky of the setting sun, all mixed together by His hand to create a beautiful gift for all of us to share. I also love the trees and waterways. Such a lovely area you live in. Flat Jack (the turtle) says Hello to Miss Tallulah. :) Blessings to you sweet friend. ((hugs)).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had Storm Doris yesterday, lots of wind with some rain; no big deal here but some parts of the country were hit hard and one woman lost her life in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved seeing your pretty countryside. And the waterways and birds. Our weather is also being nutty and it we lost our two huge Koi to a prolonged ice storm. Can't wait for Spring. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. IT is crazy how warm it has been everywhere. Yet there is no Global Warming, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. February is back. Freezing. Wind from the north. Grrrrrr! Have a nice weekend and stay warm! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  9. We took a tiny dip back into winter for about a week, and now we're getting back into spring, and it's awesome! Gorgeous sunset! So cool you got in more rides than me in February! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in the Ozark's so Spring really IS here but here in the South I call it weather radio season because it's just storm after storm but I would rather have that than fire danger! LOL! Whereabouts in WI do you live? It looks like a beautiful place to ride. I grew up in the midwest...Northern IL near the WI border and I am hoping to move back as the South is not my cup of tea. I miss the snow and so much more....I am a midwest gal through and through! We have already gone through tulips and daffodils and now the redbuds are blooming and soon the dogwoods. I have flowers blooming in my perennial beds...just a few and the migrating birds from the deep south are stopping by on their way to see YOU! Have a great Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The frogs started singing yesterday so it must be Spring now. I live in south-central WI. No tulips yet for us. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....